Our Kids!

Cassius Daniel:
baby

babies

Monday, May 24, 2010

Scenes from Maternity Leave, Day 1: Lighting my foot on fire to turn Cash around

Monday, May 24, 2010


The things I'm am resorting to in order to try to get out of this breech situation. What looks like my pinky toe smoking a clove cigarette above is, in actuality, the ancient Chinese medical treatment of moxibustion. Today, on my first day of work-enforced short-term disability leave, I went and did some acupuncture followed by a field trip to Chinatown to buy some smoking herbs for my toe. Fun! Tomorrow we are scheduled for a second attempt at a version, this time with an epidural, so I'm trying everything I can to get Cash to turn before tomorrow morning. I figure a bunch of small needles in my lower extremities is infinitely better than a large one in my spine.

The acupuncture wasn't so bad. I've done it before for a muscle spasm problem and while I don't find it to be as "relaxing" of a treatment as it suggests, I enjoyed the reclining chair and the peace and quiet. However, I needed to follow it up with some moxibustion in order to realize its full effect and my acupuncturist suggested I buy some to burn periodically throughout the evening. So off to some weird Chinatown pharmacy I went to buy a very cheap, but very large box of this stuff. Basically I stick it to my toe and light it and wait until I feel a warmth in my toe muscle and my qi is supposed to open up and flow energy to Cash to make him turn around. Who knows if this works or not but my pinky toe is now especially toasty and I smell like patchouli. I also have about 180 more of these little moxas left so I need to read up on what I else I can use it for. Probably the best part of the day is that on my way home I was able to pick up a 3lb bag of Chinatown cherries for $5. Chinatown cherries are the best (and cheapest) cherries around and totally worth the trip.

0 comments: