Our Kids!

Cassius Daniel:
baby

babies

Monday, July 25, 2011

Rough weekend

Monday, July 25, 2011

*Kind of in love with my new Instamatic app on my iPhone if only because I can make Cash look all 70's out.

Ear infections have struck again with a vengeance. This past Friday, I took Cash to our new pediatrician during urgent care hours with a sneaking suspicion that he had come down with another ear infection - the second in a matter of three weeks. For the record, I think that I take Cash to urgent care on average about twice a month and I realize that I am a part of what's wrong with the American health care system. However my neuroses haven't allowed me to get to the point of making an appointment and then waiting for said appointment if I suspect that Cash is ill. And mostly because, I'm usually right, as is evidenced by this time with the diagnosis of another double ear infection.

Since this is the second occurrance of a double ear infection in a short time period I decided it was time to go ahead with the tube surgery. Even though Cash had a nice two month respite from ear infections, I think that the constant reintroduction of aggressive antibiotics to his tiny system is causing more harm in the long run. So on August 12th, we're taking Cash for outpatient surgery. Recovery time is supposed to be quick but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at all petrified about watching my baby go under general anesthesia. Hopefully though, the tubes will be the cure we've been waiting for ever since he started getting ear infections at 3.5 months old.

The ear infection wasn't even the worst of it this weekend though because on Sunday, it seems that Cash had a 24 hour flu bug that just made him into a sad, lethargic and feverish mess. We spent most of the day rocking him and trying to bring down his 103 degree fever as he moaned and scared us to death. His fever ended up breaking in the middle of the night and by the morning he was doing better, if still a little weak seeming. I took him to day care a little late and was expecting a call to come pick him up but he made a great recovery and by the time I went to get him at 4:30, he was playing, had eaten a lot and was in great spirits. Since Ross is away all week on a work trip, this made me extra happy because having a sick baby while by myself just seemed like a bit of an impossible task.

0 comments: